Ala. County Readies For Possible Record Bankruptcy - BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's largest county began laying the groundwork Tuesday for what would be the largest-ever U.S. municipal bankruptcy after three years of trying to work out a solution with Wall Street to more than $3 billion in debt linked to a massive sewer rehabilitation project tainted by corruption.
NASA Image Shows Eruption Of Puyehue Corón-Caulle Volcano Continues Unabated
Natural’ breakfast cereals loaded with pesticides and GMOs – explosive new scorecard from Cornucopia reveals all – Mike Adams
Three facts you need to know about GMOs before you read the explosive test results below
Before you view the Cornucopia’s test results below, there are three important things you need to know about GMOs:
#1) There is GE contamination in almost everything. Even “non-GMO” food products almost always contain trace levels of GMOs (often between .01% and 0.5%). A test for the mere presence of GMOs is not considered conclusive. What’s important is the level of GMOs in a particular food item. Some of the “natural” items tested by the Cornucopia Institute showed GMO contamination levels between 28 and 100 %, which means the key ingredients in those cereals are most definitely genetically engineered from the source (and it’s not just a chance contamination from some other nearby field).
#2) All GMO tests are merely a “snapshot” that can change over time. Foods that test free of GMOs today may contain higher levels tomorrow due to supply line errors, contamination, supply source changes, and so on. At the same time, foods that test at high levels of GMOs today may test at lower levels in the future or even for different batches from the same manufacturer. Sometimes manufacturers are lied to by their suppliers. Some manufacturers test for GMOs in every batch, but others take a “don’t ask don’t tell” approach where they don’t test because they’d rather not know.
#3) Products may be “enrolled” in the Non-GMO Project and still contain GMOs before they are “verified.” The Non-GMO Project has two designations for products. There are products which are “enrolled” which means they are “on the path” to becoming free of GMOs but may not have achieved it yet. Thus, it is true that products “enrolled” in the Non-GMO Project may still contain substantial levels of GMOs. Products that meet far more stringent supply line audits and GE testing requirements are granted the label “Verified” by the Non-GMO Project.
You got all that? It’s a lot to keep in mind. GMOs are a complicated issue. But one thing is certain: Most “natural” breakfast cereals contain surprisingly high levels of genetically engineered ingredients. This is why it’s crucial to shop for certified organic breakfast cereals from companies like Nature’s Path, whose products are 100% certified organic and free from GMOs.
All these concerns about GMOs don’t even cover residues of toxic and carcinogenic pesticides in the grains used to produce “natural” breakfast cereals. The Cornucopia report cites extensive USDA testing and research revealing which “natural” grains and ingredients may be routinely contaminated with chemical pesticides. Synthetic pesticides are banned in organic production with oversight by independent certifiers and USDA accreditation, so organic is once again the way to go if you wish to avoid pesticide residues.
Keep reading to see some of the shocking test results uncovered by the Cornucopia Institute…
Here’s what the test results reveal
The Cornucopia Institute’s “Cereal Scorecard” (http://www.cornucopia.org/2011/10/n…) reveals some truly astonishing facts about what’s in our breakfast cereal:
• Kashi brand cereals (Kellogg’s) contains “high levels” of GMOs. Not just a trace of GMOs, in other words, but a high level meaning the key ingredients are genetically engineered from the get-go. In fact, NaturalNews has learned that test results reveal 100% of the soy used in tested boxes of Kashi cereal was genetically engineered soy.
• Mother’s brand cereals (PepsiCo) contains “high levels” of GMOs. Test results revealed 28% of the corn to be genetically engineered.
• Whole Foods’ 365 brand Corn Flakes contains “high levels” of GMOs (more than 50% GE corn).
• Barbara’s Bakery Puffins cereal was also shown to contain more than 50% genetically engineered corn.
• Both Barbara’s Bakery Puffins and Whole Foods 365 Corn Flakes are “enrolled” in the Non-GMO Project, says Cornucopia (see below). Note that this does not mean “verified” by the Non-GMO Project, which is a different designation. Still, the term “enrolled” in the Non-GMO Project may imply to many shoppers that the products are free from GMOs. This is something NaturalNews will address later, as it is a concern for both us and many readers who have long believed that any affiliation with the Non-GMO Project meant the same thing as “GMO free,” which it does not.
• One of the shining examples honest organic cereal is Nature’s Path, whose products are all certified organic, contained no significant GMO contamination and are clearly made with entirely non-GMO ingredients.
• As the report states: Numerous “natural” products were indeed contaminated with high levels of GE ingredients, sometimes as high as 100%: Kashi GoLean, Mother’s Bumpers, Nutritious Living Hi-Lo, and General Mills Kix.
• Kashi Heart to Heart Blueberry cereal costs more than Nature’s Path Organic Blueberry Cinnamon Optimum Cereal, and yet the grains used in Kashi cereal were found by the USDA, to typically contain residues of all the following pesticide chemicals: phosmet, carbaryl, azinphos methyl, malathion, chlorpyrifos methyl, chlorpyrifos. (Note: This does not mean these Kashi cereals were tested for each of these chemicals, only that these chemicals are admitted by the USDA to be found in the non-organic grains used to manufacture Kashi cereals.)
• Quaker Oats states that it is an “all-natural” product. But Quaker Oats (a unit of PepsiCo) manages a processing plant that emits roughly 19,000 pounds of sulfuryl fluoride yearly. Sulfuryl fluoride is a toxic greenhouse gas used to treat crops like oats in storage.
• “Natural” Peace Cereal Wild Berry Crisp is produced from conventional commodity ingredients commonly containing the neurotoxin phosmet and the carcinogen captan in 11% and 55% of samples, respectively.
• Mom’s Best Naturals Raisin Bran cereal contains “natural” (non-GMO) ingredients that are commonly contaminated with malathion and phosmet chemicals, both of which are neurotoxins.
• Several Bear Naked and Kashi products contain conventional soy protein. Soy protein in this country is nearly universally hexane-extracted. The “hexane bath” that the soybeans are immersed in consists of more than 50% n-hexane, which is a known neurotoxin, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Where you can learn more
What you’ve read here are only the highlights of this groundbreaking research report. You can learn more in the following ways:
Quick 4-minute video overview on YouTube:
Or view it on NaturalNews.TV at:
View the Scorecard page or download the PDF report:
Keep reading NaturalNews
NaturalNews plans to bring you additional coverage of this breaking news, including feedback from the Non-GMO Project and others. This research obviously raises many questions and concerns about GMOs in “natural” products which need to be carefully addressed.
The quick conclusion from all this is that if you really want to be 100% safe from GMOs in your breakfast cereal, buy Nature’s Path cereals. They are the best of the best, and they don’t play games with “natural” labeling that might mislead consumers. Nature’s Path is also supporting the mandatory GMO labeling initiative in California.
Some other trusted cereal sources, according to the Cornucopia Scorecard, include Kaia, Laughing Giraffe, Lydia’s Organics and Two Moms In the Raw.
Some of the brands that didn’t score well on the Cornucopia’s Scorecard include Bear Naked, Kashi, Mom’s Best, General Mills, Barbara’s Bakery, Health Valley, Back to Nature, Arrowhead Mills, Bob’s Red Mill and Post Natural.
See the scorecard yourself at:
Source: Natural News
Russian PM Putin in China Seeking Closer Ties
Hottest movie in America is not entertainment
'180' is changing minds about abortion – in minutes, seconds
Buckle Up: America Is Getting Very Angry And The Protests Are Going To Become Much More Frightening
Racial Violence In Philadelphia: The Hate That Dare Not Speak Its Name
A Yeti in Siberia? 'We're 95 per cent sure,' say scientists
North Korea has recently moved fighter jets near the Northern Limit Line, the de facto maritime border, and ground-to-air missiles close to Baeknyeong Island. There is speculation that it plans a minor provocation while South Korean president Lee Myung-bak visits the U.S. since any show of unity between the two allies tends to incense the North. "The North Korean military was seen moving mobile missile launchers at a ground-to-ship missile base near the NLL," a government source said. "There's likelihood that the North will launch a military provocation" while Lee is away. The government is closely watching movements of North Korean artillery units. An intelligence source said, "The North Korean Army is showing movements similar to those seen right before it shelled Yeonpyeong Island last year." Lee was quoted by...
Feast of Tabernacles draws thousands of Christian pilgrims
The Feast of Tabernacles begins Thursday evening at Jerusalem’s International Convention Center with delegations from countries that include Australia, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Great Britain, Russia, South Africa, Thailand and the United States. The event is the largest solidarity mission to Israel this year, injecting an estimated $15 to $18 million into the local economy. Pilgrims will come to pray for peace in Jerusalem and to extend their blessings to Israel. They believe that commemorating the feast is a step towards the fulfilment...
Hatch: Obamacare Reg Would Force Religious Employers to Provide Abortifacients
(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), said Tuesday that a regulation the Obama administration has proposed under the new health-care law enated last year would require religious employers to provide their workers with abortifacients, which are drugs that kill an unborn child. He also said that what he perceived as Obamacare's threat to individual liberty was "one of the most serious issues we’ve ever seen in the history of this Republic. ” At an event sponsored by the Heritage Foundation, CNSNews.com asked Hatch:..
USGS Reports Record Number Of Strong Earthquakes In 2011
The number of dangerous earthquakes recorded worldwide so far in 2011 has reached record new levels, according to research conducted by iWeather Online (IWO). By analysing data from the US Geological Survey (USGS), IWO was able to determine that earthquake activity (6.0-9.9 magnitude) during the period 01...
Peanut shortage sending peanut butter prices up
Consumers should be prepared to shell out a bit more for peanut butter soon. Another hot, dry summer in key producing states and competition from more profitable crops like cotton have significantly shrunk the U.S. peanut crop this year. The tight supply means consumers will soon pay more for yet another grocery staple. U.S. farmers are expected to produce roughly...
Mormon bishop's daughter spills Romney's 'secrets' ...
The daughter of a Mormon bishop who has abandoned her family's faith claims in a new book the election of Mitt Romney to the presidency would put the U.S. in danger due to what she calls the Republican's "outrageous," "horrific" and "mind-controlling" beliefs. "While he attempts to portray Mormonism as just another Christian religion, Mitt Romney counts on his skills to shift our...
Homeschool Parents to Lose Children Permanently
Interview: Robert Jeffress Refuses to Back Down on 'Mormonism Is a Cult'
WARNING USGS NO WARNING WILL BE GIVEN FOR CANARY ISLANDS AND PEOPLE WOULD PANIC
Ultimately violence will be necessary says Occupy LA speaker -