HOT NEWS OFF THE PRESS:
WASCOP Position Statement - Public Safety and Firearms
((1. Fiercely support and defend both the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions.))
2) Support the strong gun heritage that has existed in Wyoming for generations and we continue to stress gun safety as a paramount tenet of gun ownership.
3) Acknowledge that unless we set our schools up like prisons, if a person is determined to enter a school with evil intent, they will succeed unless someone is there to stop them.
4) Do not believe banning certain weapons will create the safety we seek; it will only serve to continue the gun control controversy and prolong the failure to focus on the real issue.
5) Support a statewide effort to conduct a target hardening approach to our schools, identifying best practice methods.
6) Endorse legislation that will assist in financing an increased “armed” presence at the schools.
7) Look to our law makers to provide legislation based on meaningful discourse that addresses the complexity of evil, mental health, public safety, and preservation of civil rights.